The Institute for Jewish Ideas and Ideals℠ offers a vision of Orthodox Judaism that is intellectually sound, spiritually compelling, and emotionally satisfying. Based on an unwavering commitment to the Torah tradition and to the Jewish people, it fosters an appreciation of legitimate diversity within Orthodoxy.
A new collection of short fiction
Rabbi Marc D. Angel has just come out with a book of short stories, "The Crown of Solomon and Other Stories." Published by Albion-Andalus Books, the 150 page soft cover book is available through the online store at jewishideas.org
Here are some comments on the book:
These wry parables of Jewish wisdom and ignorance touch a nerve. We find ourselves thinking about these characters long after we've put the book down—this one timid and self-demeaning until she suddenly is not, that one stubborn and aggressive, another, hesitant beyond reason. The stories quietly ambush assumptions of many kinds. —Jane Mushabac, CUNY Professor of English, author of "Pasha: Ruminations of David Aroughetti."
Featured Min HaMuvhar
Exploring the thought of the Rav
This essay, by Rabbi Marc D. Angel, was originally published as the Introduction to the book he edited, “Exploring the Thought of Rabbi Joseph B. Soloveitchik,” published by Ktav Publishing House, Hoboken, 1997, on behalf of the Rabbinical Council of America. This article appears in issue 12 of Conversations, the journal of the Institute for Jewish Ideas and Ideals.
Spinoza and Hareidim have something in common?
Posted 5 weeks ago
Posted 7 weeks ago
Posted 7 weeks ago
Posted 8 weeks ago
Posted 9 weeks ago
Become a member
Please become a contributing member of the Institute for Jewish Ideas and Ideals
By joining the Institute you...
- become a partner in working for an intellectually vibrant, compassionate and inclusive Orthodox Judaism
- receive a 20% discount on all items purchased through our online store
- may participate in the members-only forum, discussing topics of interest to you and other members
- will receive updates and articles available only to members
- will receive notice of special offers that will be available only to members
- will take satisfaction in doing something constructive to stem the tide of religious extremism, fanaticism and obscurantism within Orthodox Jewish life