Shalom. I hope your school year has been going well, and I wish you all the best. Here are a few items of importance for members of the University Network of the Institute for Jewish Ideas and Ideals.
1. Please make sure that we have your correct mailing address on file. You may go to our website, jewishideas.org, and check your My Account page. We mailed out the new issue of Conversations (Orthodoxy and Ethics) in early September, and I hope that you've received your copy.
2. We have a number of members in various countries e.g. Israel, Turkey, Italy, France, Brazil, Australia etc. It is very expensive to mail Conversations to these members, but we are glad to do so. However, sometimes these copies have been returned to us due to incorrect mailing addresses that were given to us. Whenever copies are returned, we will not re-send them; so please be extra sure that we have your correct address on file.
3. During the past year, we established an online discussion group for University Network members. There were periods of active discussion, and periods of relative silence. If you are already signed up for this group, please feel free to use it and to communicate your ideas with others. If you have not yet signed up, you may do so by sending an email request to: [email protected]
4. I invite members of the University Network to submit a short article (2 to 5 pages, double spaced) on the theme: Orthodoxy and the State of Israel. What does Israel mean to you? How do you envision the relationship between religion and State? What is/should be the relationship between the State of Israel and the Jewish Diaspora? Essays are due whenever they are ready, but not later than February 15. We hope to choose a number of them to include in the May 2011 issue of Conversations, that will be on the theme of Orthodoxy and the State of Israel. We will also provide prizes for winning entries.
5. We are looking for members who are willing to serve as our campus representatives at their colleges. Representatives will take responsibility for trying to schedule a program through their Hillel or other Jewish student organization, dealing with a theme relating to the interests of the Institute for Jewish Ideas and Ideals. We'll provide a speaker at no cost to the sponsoring organization, except for travel expenses. Representatives will also spread the word about the Institute to fellow students, encouraging them to enrol in the University Network. If you are interested, please contact me at: [email protected]
6. A number of members of the University Network have emailed me with questions, comments, issues that are bothering them etc. I am always happy to be of assistance and guidance.
All good wishes. Shabbat Shalom.